Research Group Rott
Satellite observations of ice sheets and glaciers
Development of methods for satellite observations on mass balance and dynamics of ice sheets and glaciers, including synergy with in situ measurements and studies of ice/climate interactions. Participated in several field campaigns in Antarctica (Dronning Maud Land, Antarctic Peninsula, Ellsworth Mountains), Greenland, Patagonia. Current projects focus on volume change, mass balance and dynamic response of glaciers on the Antarctic Peninsula, Patagonia, Iceland, global snow cover monitoring, and on the operational generation of ice velocity maps for Greenland and Antarctica, including time series on velocity and calving fluxes of outlet glaciers (available at http://cryoportal.enveo.at).
Involved in polar projects at ENVEO IT: Dr. Helmut Rott and Dr. Thomas Nagler (managing directors), Mag. Markus Hetzenecker, Dr. Jan Wuite, Dr. Gabriele Schwaizer, M.Sc. Stefan Scheiblauer.
- Rott, H., Abdel Jaber, W., Wuite, J., Scheiblauer, S., Floricioiu, D., van Wessem, J.M., Nagler, T., Miranda, N. and M.R. van den Broeke. 2018. Changing pattern of ice flow and mass balance for glaciers discharging into the Larsen A and B embayments, Antarctic Peninsula, 2011 to 2016. The Cryosphere, 12, 1273-1291, https://doi.org/10.5194/tc-12-1273-2018.
- IMBIE team. 2018. Mass balance of the Antarctic Ice Sheet from 1992 to 2017. Nature, 558, 219 – 222, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-018-0179-y.
- Rizzoli, P., Martone, M., Rott, H. and A.Moreira. 2017. Characterization of snow facies on the Greenland Ice Sheet observed by TanDEM-X interferometric SAR data. Remote Sens., 9(4), 315; doi:10.3390/rs9040315.
- Wuite, J., Rott, H., Hetzenecker, M., Floricioiu, D., De Rydt, J., Gudmundsson, G. H., Nagler, T., and M. Kern. 2015. Evolution of surface velocities and ice discharge of Larsen B outlet glaciers from 1995 to 2013. The Cryosphere, 9, 957-969, doi:10.5194/tc-9-957-2015.
- Rott, H., F. Müller, T. Nagler and D. Floricioiu. 2011. The imbalance of glaciers after disintegration of Larsen B ice shelf, Antarctic Peninsula. The Cryosphere, 5, 125–134.
- Magnússon, E., H. Björnsson, H. Rott, M.J. Roberts, F. Pálsson, S. Gudmundsson, R.A. Bennett, H. Geirsson and E. Sturkell. 2011. Localized uplift of Vatnajökull, Iceland: subglacial water deduced from InSAR and GPS observations. Journal of Glaciology, 57(203), 475-484.
- Shepherd, A. et al.2 012. A reconciled estimate of ice-sheet mass balance. Science 338, 1183. DOI: 10.1126/science.1228102
- SAMBA – SAR Algorithms for Mass Balance and Dynamics of Calving Glaciers (ESA)
- ESA Climate Change Initiative – Antarctic and Greenland Ice Sheet
- ESA Climate Change Initiative – SNOW (Global Snow Cover products from multi-sensor satellite data for climate applications)
- ArcFlux – Arctic Freshwater Flux, Estimation of the freshwater budget of the Arctic Ocean using Earth Observation (ESA Support to Science Element- Arctic)