Research Group Rott
Satellite observations of ice sheets and glaciers
Development of methods and applications of satellite techniques for observing mass balance and dynamics of ice sheets and glaciers. Synergy of satellite observations with in situ measurements. Participated in field campaigns in Antarctica (Dronning Maud Land; Antarctic Peninsula), Greenland, Patagonia. Current projects on mass balance and dynamic response of glaciers on the Antarctic Peninsula, Patagonia, Iceland, Greenland (outlet glaciers). Member of the Scientific Steering Group of the Climate and Cryosphere (CliC) project of WCRP.
Current projects are performed at ENVEO IT (Co-directors: H. Rott, T. Nagler).
Involved in polar projects are: Dr. Thomas Nagler, Dr. Gabriele Bippus, Mag. Markus Hetzenecker, Dr. Kilian Scharrer, Dr. Jan Wuite.
- Rott, H., F. Müller, T. Nagler and D. Floricioiu. 2011. The imbalance of glaciers after disintegration of Larsen B ice shelf, Antarctic Peninsula. The Cryosphere, 5, 125–134.
- Magnússon, E., H. Björnsson, H. Rott, M.J. Roberts, F. Pálsson, S. Gudmundsson, R.A. Bennett, H. Geirsson and E. Sturkell. 2011. Localized uplift of Vatnajökull, Iceland: subglacial water deduced from InSAR and GPS observations. Journal of Glaciology, 57(203), 475-484.
- Shepherd, A. et al.2 012. A reconciled estimate of ice-sheet mass balance. Science 338, 1183. DOI: 10.1126/science.1228102
- GlacAPI – Multi-sensor analysis of glacier response to climate change on the Antarctic Peninsula (ESA Contract; Project Lead: ENVEO)
- Climate Change Initiative – Ice Sheets (ESA Contract; Project Lead: DTU-Space, DK)
- Climate Change Initiative – Glaciers (ESA Contract; Project Lead: Univ. Zürich, CH)
- Support to Science Element – Nordic Hydrology (ESA Contract; Project Lead: Univ. Waterloo, CAN)