The Austrian Polar Research Institute (APRI) is a research consortium that promotes and coordinates research and education in the area of polar sciences at the participating organisations. APRI currently comprises researchers from the University of Vienna, the University of Innsbruck, the Technical University of Vienna and the Central Institute of Meteorology and Geodynamics.
The Austrian Polar Research Institute involves 14 research groups, including about 50 scientists in one of the three research areas: Cryosphere & Climate, Polar Ecology, and Social and Cultural Systems.
The main goals of the institute are to:
- Facilitate cooperation and enhance synergies in polar research at the national level
- Foster international cooperation in polar research and represent Austrian research in polar scientific organisations
- Initiate, develop and support interdisciplinary research at the national and European level,
- Support early-career scientist in polar research
- Increase the visibility of Austria in polar research and encourage dialogue of polar scientists with the public
The structure of APRI is shown in the Figure below.
- Director: Univ.-Prof. Dr. Peter Schweitzer (email@example.com)
- Vice-Director: Priv.-Doz. Dr. Annett Bartsch (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Executive Secretary: Mag. Dr. Ass.-Prof. Birgit Sattler (email@example.com)
- Vice Executive Secretary: Mag. Dr. Gertrude Saxinger (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Director of Finance: Univ.-Prof. Dr. Andreas Richter (email@example.com)
- Vice Director of Finance: Univ.-Prof. Dr.rer.nat. Wolfgang Schöner (firstname.lastname@example.org)